Lately,my inclination towards poems has risen. I am not really a poetess,but I think writing poems would help me improve my brevity,and when it comes to writing,I am one walking ,unstoppable typing machine 😛
Also,poems are really deep,they are something you can ponder upon.Its just so wonderful to see how short verses (lines) of a poem,sums up a whole story or message. Which is why I am doing some research on their types and how they are written.
Let’s start with the basics,a line of a poem is called a ‘verse‘,paragraphs of a poem are called ‘stanza(s)‘,there are even different types of stanzas ,they are as follows:
- Couplet: Having two verses.
- Tercets: Having three verses.
- Quatrains: Having four verses.
- Cinquain: Have five verses.
- Sestain or Sestet : Have six verses.
- Octave: Have eight verses
All these verses,may or may not rhyme.Earlier,only rhyming lines,used to be a real poem for me. 😛
But for now,let’s stick to their types only.So,let’s take a quick look. 🙂
- Tells us stories
- Narrative in nature.
- Have rhyming verses.
- Of four lines (verses);quatrains.
- Tells us about a person.
- Biographical in nature.
- Have rhyming verses.
- Interestingly,this poem is like ‘find the word’ game,where a word or phrase is hidden in the letters of a word,horizontally.
- These letters can be at last,first,or at any other positions in each a word.
- But their position must be in such a manner,that they are parallel to each other.
- Only then the hidden word,can be detected when the whole poem is seen from top to bottom.
BLANK VERSE poem
- Doesn’t rhyming verses
- Have extremely short verses .
- In iambic pentameter form,that is it consists of short lines of five feet.
- Where one syllable (when you break a word into many parts,as in ‘beau-ti-ful‘ you are said to be breaking a syllable,a unit of a word)is stressed and other is unstressed.
- A poem written in the shape of a diamond.
- Those lines,would look more like a diamond typography.
- A poem of fourteen lines
- The Q&A poem(self-coined). 😛
- The first eight lines,in form of quatrains asks questions.
- And the next six lines of the poem,gives answers for those questions.
- A diamante poem,as discussed above,is a type of shape poem.
- Where you form different kinds of shape,with the lines of your poem.
- These are visually eye-appealing and easily catches reader’ attention.
- A poem of fifteen lines.
- Where almost every two lines,rhyme to each other.
- A sad poem.
- Written in memory or honor of someone.
- Usually written,for a funeral.
- Well,a riddle is also a type of poem.
- Till now,I used to think, it to be some kind of mind-boggling puzzle.:P
- And mind you,these are not easy to solve,as they sound. 😀 (as per me )
- A lyrical poem.
- Addresses to a person or thing.
- Mainly uses similes(compare two things),metaphors(a thing is used to describe,with the help of another thing) and hyperbole(complete exaggeration).
- A poem said at the end of a movie,speech or a play etc.
- These have to be carefully crafted,as they represent the entire moral or message of a story.
- Expresses personal feelings or emotions.
- These may take forms of other types of poems.
- Personal in nature.
- Another word for humorous poems.
- They are light-hearted funny poems.
- Consists of five lines.
- A short poem.
- Satirical and/or witty in nature.
- Generally,have funny endings.
- Usually written in couplet or quatrain,it can be even in one-line phrase form.
Let me,tell you one thing that this list is not exhaustive,there are many other types of poems like idyll poem-poem on rustic life,epic poem-poem on heroic deeds etc. I have just tried here,to introduce you with some rudimentary types of poems.